We need a new affordable 1/72 B-24

Susanna Viljanen

Dear fellow modelaholics,

We need a new and affordable B-24H or J Liberator with Ford Nose in 1/72 scale.

The reason is simple: there are no "Ford nose" B-24 kits available in any scale. And, unfortunately, none of the current Liberator kits are either affordable, up to date or available.

The Hasegawa kit depicts a Consolidated nose B-24J and is horribly expensive: Hasegawa has simply outpriced itself.While it is an excellent kit, it still needs major surgery to represent the Ford-nosed B-24H or B-24J.

Likewise, the Academy/Minicraft kits all represent the Consolidated nose B-24J. Although they sell a kit labeled "B-24H", in reality it is another B-24J with Consolidated nose. The only thing resembling the Ford nose is their B-24M - unfortunately it has the large navigator's "bay windows" distinctive to only M model.

The old Airfix B-24J kit is horribly dated and  horribly inaccurate - it simply is not this day anymore. It is a toy, not a serious model kit. It is a venerable fifty years old kit, and suitable only for the nostalgics, not for serious modellers. Again, another Consolidated nose kit - and poorly depicted.

The Revell kit is B-24D and been unavailable for over thirty years outside the eBay.

Why the Ford nose with Emerson cylindrical turret? Because the Ford nose is distinctively different from the Consolidated nose - and the main difference is the bomb aimer's lower window glazing, which is almost impossible to convert from the Consolidated bomb aimer's window. (Check out the differences between Academy B-24J with Consolidated nose and B-24M with Ford nose).

Moreover, the Ford nose B-24H and J models were the most used variants in the ETO and they offer several nice painting and nose art/unit marking schemes. Almost all Consolidated nose B-24s were used at Pacific or CBI theaters. To add insult to injury, most Consolidated nose B-24Js tended to be on bare metal scheme which most modellers tend to abhor - and rather choose the OD/NG scheme if available. In addition, the Academy Emerson turret suffers from an unnatural partition line which does not exist in the real life - and it unfortunately screams out.

The new Airfix offerings have been both excellent, neatly on scale and shape, well detailed, and most of all, affordable. We really do need the B-24H Liberator in addition to B-17 and Lancaster.

I must say "it depends".

Liberator I - B-24A, direct purchase aircraft for the RAF. (Total: 20) Considered unsuitable for combat, some rebuilt as the GR.1 and used in British anti-submarine patrol squadrons. Greenhouse nose, no dorsal turret, open tail turret.

Liberator B Mk II - The first combat-ready B-24. The modifications included a three-foot nose extension as well as a deeper aft fuselage and wider tailplane—there was no direct B-24 equivalent but similar to the B-24C, built to meet British specifications with British equipment and armament. Boulton Paul A dorsal turret and Boulton Paul tail turret - similar as with Halifax.

Liberator B Mk III - B-24D variant with single .303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine gun in the nose, two in each waist position, and four in a Boulton Paul tail turret—similar to that on contemporary British heavy bombers such as the Halifax—as well as other British equipment. The Martin dorsal turret was retained. (Total: 156)

Liberator B Mk IIIA: Lend-Lease B-24Ds with American equipment and weapons. Consolidated A-6A tail turret, greenhouse nose and Martin dorsal turret.

Liberator B Mk V - B-24D modified for extra fuel capacity at the cost or armor, with the same armament fit as the Liberator Mk III.

Liberator GR Mk V - B-24D modified by RAF Coastal Command for the anti-submarine role with search radar and Leigh Light. Some were fitted with eight zero-length rocket launchers, four on each wing. Greenhouse nose, Martin dorsal turret and Consolidated A-6A tail turret.

Liberator GR Mk VI - B-24G/H/J type used as a long-range general reconnaissance aircraft by RAF Coastal Command. Those manufactured by Consolidated or North American would have Consolidated nose, bombardier glazing and A-6B nose turret. Those manufactured by Ford or Douglas would have Ford nose and bombardier glazing and Emerson nose turret. All would have Consolidated A-6A tail turret and either Martin or Consolidated dorsal turret.

Liberator GR Mk VIII - B-24J modified by RAF Coastal Command for the anti-submarine role. Those manufactured by Consolidated would have Consolidated nose, bombardier glazing and either Condolidated or Emerson nose turret. Those manufactured by Ford or Douglas would have Ford nose and bombardier glazing and Emerson nose turret. All would have Consolidated A-6A tail turret and either Martin or Consolidated dorsal turret.

• 1 year later...

Susanna, 

i couldn’t agree more and would certainly like Airfix to tackle this beast however, with the way academy kits are built, maybe a cottage industry (like CMK, or others) could kit the front end with clear parts. Wouldn’t you agree That this could be somewhat satisfactory? In addition, the turrets could all need help. 

Your knowledge of the B-24 certainly is astounding and I defer to your opinion On it. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have just seen this thread and, as always I arrive late.  I would also love to see a new B24 in particular the J, but also the L & M as these were the ones used by Australia in the Pacific.  Unfortunately the boring aluminium colour scheme.  Is there a way based on the USAAF production number to work out whether the model is a Consolidated or Ford production?

Agree with all before though personally, I favour a RAF Coastal Command B24 (160 Sqn Ceylon) as next cab off the rank ...

/media/tinymce_upload/c0759d4ef11c40b0e9f31c492fb60e9b.jpg

... and whilst boring, a modified B24M (200 SD Flight RAAF) could also be looked at ...

/media/tinymce_upload/57bb1d70228c16255c4ef66a2b6461b6.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/26362b6c9ff9886918fcfdb5289448fb.jpg

😀Agree with all before though personally, I favour a RAF Coastal Command B24 (160 Sqn Ceylon) as next cab off the rank ...

/media/tinymce_upload/c0759d4ef11c40b0e9f31c492fb60e9b.jpg

... and whilst boring, a modified B24M (200 SD Flight RAAF) could also be looked at ...

/media/tinymce_upload/57bb1d70228c16255c4ef66a2b6461b6.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/26362b6c9ff9886918fcfdb5289448fb.jpg

Nice thought on the RAF Coastal Command Versions.  There are so many B24 variants Airfix could just keep rolling them out and they would still would not make everbody happy.